As you explore the Hunt Library (Links to an external site.), reflect on how you might use the Library as a resource for your studies. What makes a resource "scholarly" in nature?
How is the scholarly information you found in the library different from the typical information you find when you Google a leadership concept?
Upon exploring the Hunt Library site, I found the information and resources available to be vast. I was looking for an article on leadership and was able to do a fairly specific search of their archives. I also noticed that there is live chatting available for library questions. (The time of big drawers full of card catalogs is pretty much over!) This library gives me access to virtual documents and the ability to reserve a book from over 3000 miles away, to name just a couple of the resources available. I could use this library as a resource for many things during my studies such as getting help when trying to find a specific video resource for a paper, or looking at the many collections available to learn more about leadership styles or time management.
In my opinion, what makes a resource "scholarly" in nature is the content of the archives available to search. Scholarly resources can be proven and have validity. It may be a fallacy to believe that just because it comes from a college, the information is scholarly but if the college has well referenced and critically researched it's library content, it will show. If I were to search a college library's website and most of the articles came from Wikipedia, that content would be suspect.
The scholarly information found in the library was much different and much more relative than had I just Googled "leadership". I would have had to search through many irrelevant articles and websites using up precious time. By using the Hunt Library, I was able to search their archives and get pretty specific as to what I needed. There is a lot of extraneous content to shovel through when you just Google something.
No comments:
Post a Comment