Sunday, February 21, 2016

A511.6.3.RB - Meaning


Consider the following quotes and the associated HBR blog:

Dave and Wendy Ulrich, co-authors of The Why of Work have said, “In organizations, meaning and abundance are more about what we do with what we have than about what we have to begin with.”

In his famous book Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl posits that it "is a peculiarity of man that he must have something significant yet to do in his life, for that is what gives meaning to life" (2004, p. 56).

Kouzes and Posner write in The Leadership Challenge: "The executive must find a way to communicate the vision in a way that attracts and excites members of the organization" (1987, p. 106).

See the Harvard Business Review blog entitled Getting Beyond Engagement to Creating Meaning at Work (Links to an external site.)

Now, reflect on what you have read and viewed and what it means when we say that leaders must create a “cause” or "meaning." Relate this to the theory of leading change. Use examples and apply the work of others where necessary.



The theory of leading change is so relevant in the world today. People used to get a job, stay in it for 25 or 30 (or more) years, and retire with that gold watch and pension. They did some version of the same job in the same industry the entire time. Then came Generation X and our grunge music, plaid shirts, and slacker attitudes. “Generation X was once thought to be a generation of 'slackers' as the influence of multiple television stations, video games, and computers came to be a large part of their cultural identity.” (McKay, 2003-2016) However, we grew up with a more global view and when the Berlin wall fell in 1989, we saw the possibilities of a world undivided. We (as I am a Gen Xer) didn’t get a job and stick with it right away, yes, some of us served our country right after high school and are now getting ready to retire but some of us took our time in deciding how we wanted to contribute to the world. This made us more open to change and the idea of reinventing ourselves became a normal thing (thank you Madonna). Now that we are mostly in our late 30’s and 40’s we have the opportunities to be the leaders in our chosen fields. Leading change is something that takes a deep understanding of systemic issues as well as the natural resistance to change most people have. “[Leading change] involves guiding, encouraging, and facilitating the collective efforts of members to adapt and survive in a sometimes hostile environment.” (Yukl, 2013)

My generation grew up with change, heck, we saw the world as we knew it completely change again and again. “Generation X leaders thrive on change; are fair, competent and straightforward; are very adaptable, flexible; and hate being micro-managed.” (Williams, 2010) We also know that to lead change, we have to give that change meaning. Leaders have to not only help organizations understand why they need the change but really understand and embody that change themselves. It is important that those who lead change can succinctly articulate this meaning and how this change will impact our lives and the business. “People create the meaning of their work and their lives, and that process requires skill and practice, not just luck.” (Ulrich, 2010) Leaders today are faced with not just one generation of workers but three, the Baby Boomers, Gen X, and the Millennials. We all have very different views about what “being at work” means. In my organization, I work with a lot of Baby Boomers who are still very ambitious and driven. They seem restless, like if they aren’t busy then they aren’t really working. We do have some Boomers who are masters of their universes and hold court at their desks bestowing all kinds of wisdom upon anyone who happens by but these folks are the exception. (They are great to learn from but not great in a meeting with a time constraint. Ahem.) But those who seem restless, make me nervous. I’m still a bit of the slacker mentality when it comes to work. Not that I don’t work hard or fast, it’s just that I just don’t need to have everyone see me busy. I don’t need to create work for myself to feel like I’m contributing. It makes me think of when I was in marching band and we needed an extra trumpet player, the band director would grab one of the flag girls and have her play the part. She wore the uniform, knew the steps, held that trumpet like she was born with it, and even moved her fingers…but she didn’t play a note…she wasn’t really doing anything musical. Millennials come in as interns and expect to be my boss by the end of the summer. Sigh.

I’ve gotten so far off track what this blog entry was supposed to be about. My apologies. Coincidentally, I started reading Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning” during the Christmas holidays on my Mom’s recommendation. (According to my Kindle, I’m 79% finished.) His book has really started to trickle into my daily thoughts and how I react to things. He gave a perspective that I could never even think of comprehending but his theory is meaningful in every aspect of life. I can’t speak for my entire generation, but for the most part, we aren’t as motivated by money and stature as the previous generations because we have seen how fleeting it is. We are motivated to change by what that change means to us and our values. If a leader can tell me why a change is meaningful, even if it’s just meaningful on a level that isn’t on my list of values, then I want to help them. If a leader can tell me why something is important, personally, professionally, or both, then I can understand the scope and how my skill set fits into that change. I know this post is already way too long but this is a real issue that I’m dealing with at work. There are senior managers telling, not asking, telling us to remove days of flow from their product lines. When we ask them why, we are “combative” and “surly” when we just want to understand where this request is coming from so that we may tackle it in the most meaningful way. To be completely honest, I don’t think they know why. I don’t trust that the leadership in my organization understands the processes and products we use every day and even worse, I don’t think they care to. They hear about a “progressive” process in another business unit and assume that it can be applied to our system just because they say it can. They want us to make changes because they say to not because it has meaning or impact on the systems. Back to my rant as a Gen Xer, I need to understand why I’m doing what I’m doing. I’m going to ask why because I need meaning in my life, I need to understand how I fit into the picture, why it should be important to me. It feels like we are going backwards into a very autocratic leadership style and people are not liking it at all. Leadership is not leading change in our organization, they are forcing change. “Those who succeed at creating meaning […] tend to work harder, more creatively, and with more tenacity, giving the companies that employ them a leg up in the marketplace.” (Ulrich, 2010) Just prove to me, the worker, that you, the leader, understands why the change is meaningful and we’ll move mountains together.



Resources:

Mckay, A. (2003 – 2016) Generation X: Definition & Characteristics Chapter 9.Lesson 11. Study.com. http://study.com/academy/lesson/generation-x-definition-characteristics-quiz.html

Ulrich D., Ulrich W. (June 2, 2010) Getting beyond engagement to creating meaning at work. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2010/06/getting-beyond-engagement-to-c

Williams. R. (July 4, 2010).Is it time for Generation X to lead us? PsychologyToday.com 1991-2016 Sussex Publishers, LLC | HealthProfs.com © 2002-2016 Sussex Directories, Inc. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201007/is-it-time-generation-x-lead-us

Yukl, G. A. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Boston: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment