A520.2.4.RB – Time Management
Prepare a Blogger entry by reflecting on
the following:
1.
Assess your time
management skills.
2.
Evaluate how these skills
have increased your locus of control.
3.
Identify three new areas
in which improved time management skills would reduce stress.
4.
Add an action plan to
integrate these to your daily routine.
Uuuuugh! Time Management is my kryptonite.
My time management skills are erratic, weak, and a constant source of guilt and
self-sabotage. These skills have not increased my locust of control; if
anything, they have held my locust of control hostage and tortured it a bit. I
understand all of this, I know when it is happening and I have no discipline to
change it most days. I’m tired all of the time, stressed about work and home
life, and my homework suffers because I’ll be so exhausted that by the end of
the day I just have nothing left to give; my creative and critical thinking
abilities are gone.
Three areas that could benefit from
improved time management skills would be my sleep, which impacts my daily
performance and overall well-being, my focus at whatever I’m doing would
improve, and the anxiety of having procrastinated to the point of panic would
be gone. I like to think that I do my best work under pressure but the fact is,
I don’t know because I never give myself the chance to apply that theory.
My action plan is:
To set reminders for myself throughout the
day – I should do at least an hour to two hours a day of homework during the
week. (Instead of 48 hours of homework on the weekends.) This would lessen my
guilt and potential for self-sabotage. “Rule 2: Make a list of things to
accomplish today. Focus on what you want to achieve, not just what you want to
do.” Whetten (2016)
I will also make sure that I go to bed at a
regular time, even on the weekends. “Schedule some personal time. You need some
time when no interruptions will occur, when you can get off the ‘fast track’
for a while and be alone.” Whetten (2016) I deserve to feel better; being
exhausted all the time is like seeing the finish line in a race and just as I
get there, it’s moved another 50 feet, then another…I’m just always reaching.
The third thing I will do is practice
better self-discipline. I really let myself off the hook…a lot. I expect
accountability from everyone else but don’t expect it from myself…that makes
zero sense. “Rule 11: Don’t procrastinate. If you do certain tasks promptly,
they will require less time and effort than if you put them off.” Whetten
(2016) I think I should print that out and post all over my house.
Resource:
Whetten,
D. A., & Cameron, K. S. (2016). Developing management skills (9., global
ed. ed.). Boston, Mass. [u.a.]: Pearson.
No comments:
Post a Comment