Saturday, December 17, 2016

A633.9.3.RB - Polyarchy Reflections


A633.9.3.RB - Polyarchy Reflections

Most leadership models have the assumption of oligarchy – leadership is done by a few leaders over many followers. If Polyarchy is fast replacing the old oligarchy assumptions does this make these old leadership models redundant?  Reflecting on traditional leadership from the perspective of complex adaptive leadership, address the implications and how they will affect you as a leader in the future. 

Polyarchy is fast replacing the old oligarchy leadership style but I don’t think that makes oligarchy completely obsolete. I’m not quite sure how to say this but I’m going to try to make sense: Oligarchy is essentially like the parent of Polyarchy. Polyarchy is born out of a need for change in how organizations are being run because the times have changed. It’s a different world than that which birthed oligarchy and while it is archaic, and maybe a little grumpy after 7pm, it is still important to never lose sight of it because of its relationship to Polyarchy. There is a natural evolution and one day, Polyarchy will be an outdated idea and something new and more meaningful will be born of it. So, while you and I are made up of the DNA of generations of our family members, so it is with Polyarchy and Oligarchy.

The implications of this to me as a future leader are simple. Look forward, seek out positive changes, but never forget where you’ve come from and how much you’ve grown. I believe that Polyarchy is the next natural evolution within the complex adaptive strategy and there will be another evolution that will be an improvement on Polyarchy because the adaptive strategies and methods will lead us there.

My personal leadership development needs over the next 3 years will desperately require coaching. While we were doing our coaching sessions in Team B, I realized that I honestly have no idea what I want or where I want to go…speaking specifically of my career. I’ve always just kind of landed somewhere and made a go of it. Taking this job in South Carolina was the first time I actively made a career decision that forced me completely out of my comfort zone and into a place where my network is 3200 miles away. I did it because in my gut I knew that the glass ceiling was lower than I wanted to believe in my old organization. I also wanted to pursue this Master’s program because I knew that leadership skills would be very important to make any changes I might have the opportunity to make. But the specifics? Nothing. I need a coach who can ask me the non-suggestive questions to help guide me to what I really want to do. Starting with the coaching, I would also like to study more about Taoism and Chaos theory. The impact this will have on my future strategy will be to actually develop a future strategy. I'm sorry this isn't more technical; I learned a lot about complex adaptive strategy but honestly, I have more questions than answers at this point. However, I don't think that's a bad thing. Right?
Thank you Kees for your wonderful feedback this term. I've never had a professor who took the time to have a conversation with me (albeit virtual...still meaningful) like that. I hope to work with you again in the future and maybe by then I'll have more answers about my future leadership development. I really hope I have some great stories for you by then! Take care, Happy Holidays, and I hope 2017 is awesome for you!





References:

Obolensky, N. (2015). Complex Adaptive Leadership. Farnham, Surrey, England: Gower Publishing Limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment