Sunday, May 7, 2017

A634.7.4.RB - Ethics and Behaviors


A634.7.4.RB - Ethics and Behaviors

Watch the two videos from business ethics speakers and discuss how your organization portrays its values. Share any examples where behaviors were portrayed positively by your leaders or an instance where someone was unethical in your work environment.

Boeing values are posted on its website, external and internal networks. They are:

Enduring Values

·         Integrity

·         Quality

·         Safety

·         Diversity & Inclusion

·         Trust & Respect

·         Corporate Citizenship

·         Stakeholder Success

(Boeing, n.d.)



As employees of Boeing, we are expected to live by these values and represent our organization with pride. We actually sign a “recommitment” pledge every year to this effect. Knowing this, and taking the training every year, do I still see unethical behavior happening at work? Sure. Mostly in that realm that Gallagher talked about where it’s just not good for business (Gallagher, 2013). I’ve printed out the articles we’re asked to read as supplemental to the text book at work, using work resources. I justify this to myself because I don’t ask for reimbursement for the textbooks used in the classes that Boeing is already paying for. I figure 20 pages every three months isn’t going to raise any flag, I’m not proud or self-satisfied that I do this – I’m kind of indifferent about it. I also buy my own pens and graph paper, work more hours than I charge for and I hardly ever take my full lunch – even if I do I eat lunch at my desk which we all know is a bad habit. See? I’m still justifying those 20 pages. It doesn’t make what I’ve done any more or less ethical and it flies in the face of integrity a bit.  I have seen some bigger ethical issues, mostly in the vein of sexism and misogyny and most of these things are not tolerated. Overt sexual harassment is definitely not tolerated but the less obvious things like being called “sweetie” and getting things “man-splained” to me is super unappreciated. I also have to think about building the relationships within the teams and I don’t want to be the reason people can’t banter or feel comfortable in a conversation. Does that make me unethical for not reporting a joke that borders bawdy? Does that mean I’ve just enabled that culture? Yes on both counts.  We also get a weekly “Ethics Report” that is not for public reading but from what I’ve read, the serious offenders are either already being tracked or are already gone. I don’t have much more to add to this. I think that the majority of us at Boeing try to be decent people. We all have to be with each other for at least 8 hours a day and our jobs are linked in ways that we either get along or make things harder than they need to be. I can only speak for myself but I feel like I’d be supported if I needed to report something to ethics. I hope most of the people I work with feel the same way.

               















References

Boeing (n.d.). Our Vision. Enduring Values.  http://www.boeing.com/principles/vision.page

Gallagher, C. (2013). Business Ethics Keynote Speaker - Chuck Gallagher - shares straight talk about         ethics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUJ00vNGCPE

 Weinstein, B. (2012). Keynote speech excerpts from The Ethics Guy       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLxbHBpilJQ


No comments:

Post a Comment