Saturday, November 11, 2017

A640.4.4.RB - Developing a Case (Post event analysis)


A640.4.4.RB - Developing a Case (Post event analysis)



In this reflection blog, you will analyze what you have just done and provide your thoughts on the assignment. Some of the things to consider/questions to answer while completing your reflection blog are as follows.



Did the assignment help you in your understanding and analysis of cases?



This assignment definitely helped me see how difficult creating case studies really is. My process was to read through the material for this week and decide on a leadership theory that I thought I could do a case study for. I chose contingency theory leadership. Contingency theory inadvertently assumes that styles are behaviors that cannot be influenced or modified. (Gupta, 2009) Contingency theory of leadership assumes that the leader’s style is relatively stable and should be matched to the most appropriate situation for the leader’s style. (Rowe & Guerrero, 2013) As it turns out, this is a very complex, and highly debated, leadership theory. It doesn’t allow for flexibility or development of leadership and thus is not a one shoe fits all kind of theory. I was able to use my experience and have a pretty good example of how having the wrong person in a role can be just a horrible experience. That maybe understanding that whether you use the contingency theory or any other leadership theory out there, it’s important to think about people choices when promoting leaders and others to leadership positions. Just because they are an excellent technician doesn’t mean they are automatically leadership material.



In light of this exercise, what are some of the issues that are pertinent to case study development?



Case study development needs to have a subject, the case to study – which needs to be relatable and detailed, learning points, critical thinking points, and additional resources for help in the analytical process.  A case study must have an introduction and background information about what it is that is being studied. What concept is being analyzed and why.



What did you learn through completing this assignment?



Personally, I learned that I’m better at analyzing case studies than coming up with a whole case study on my own. This was a difficult assignment and although I struggled quite a bit with this, I think the more comfortable I got with both the subject and the case study process, I’d be able to be more effective at the whole thing. When we’re given a case study to look at and analyze it’s more about what details are already there. When we have to actually create one it’s about the details but also about making sure you have all of the essential elements so that it somewhat makes sense.



References:



Gupta, A. (2009). Contingent Leadership. Practical Management. Retrieved from http://www.practical-management.com/Leadership-Development/Contingent-Leadership.html



Rowe, W. G., & Guerrero, L. (2013). Cases in leadership (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.


No comments:

Post a Comment