A521.3.4.RB - Personal Reflection
In your Reflection Blog, recall two or three situations from your
childhood or early adulthood that had a formative impact on you. Describe the
situations and relate how they impacted you. Pick situations that have affected
how you act and feel in an organizational or team-based environment.
One of the first situations from my childhood that had an
impact on my life was my parent’s divorce when I was seven years old. I never
thought for a minute that the divorce was because of something I’d done…a punishment.
This was because I never heard my parents fight; it was a complete shock to me.
The impact that it had on my life was that I learned from my Mom how to be a
strong and independent woman. She has been the one constant in my entire life…from
moment one. I have learned from her that being strong doesn’t mean that you don’t
make mistakes, or that you don’t fall in love, or that you have to be
cold-hearted. It means that your strength is in how you recover from those
mistakes, how vulnerable you allow yourself to be with your loved ones, and
that the person who wears their heart on their sleeves is always stronger than
the one who hides. I tried to learn from her mistakes but ended up only
repeating them…ha! However, I had her voice in my head constantly reminding me
that I could do better, was worth more, and was capable of bigger things. This
has impacted me especially in my career choices – especially when I took a job
in a commercial electrical distribution company. I drove a forklift, made
deliveries to job sites, and eventually had my first management experience.
Everything I did lead me to the doorsteps of the Boeing Company. If I hadn’t
tried for better…I’d still be selling shoes at Dillard’s.
Another situation from my youth was that my Uncle Wayne, my
mom’s youngest brother, was an airframe mechanic. This job took him all over
the world. A lot of my early childhood was spent in airports waiting at the
gate (back when you could still do that) for Uncle Wayne coming back from England,
Germany, Saudi, Italy…you name it! He always brought me something back, the only
two things I still have are dolls from Egypt and Germany. He brought little
pieces of the world back to us in Arlington, SD. It just seemed like his life
was one continuous adventure! So, fast forwarding to when I was 22 years old
and I had moved back in with my parents in Santa Fe, NM. I went to Santa Fe
Community College and met my first husband in a math class. Four months later,
we married and six months after that, I moved to Germany with him. It was my
turn for adventure and I didn’t look back. Remember what I said about repeating
my Mom’s mistakes? Marrying too early was one of those mistakes. But I’ll never
regret the time I got to spend immersed in German and Western European culture.
My Uncle Wayne sparked an adventurous spirit in me. I have taken many leaps of
faith, not all of them landing well, but that’s where learning from those
mistakes comes in. Either way, I still went for it.
Both of these people have had an impact on me in a team-based
environment because I have a more diverse world view than folks who have never
lived anywhere else. I’m not saying its better or worse. I’m just saying that I
do well in team situations because I know that everyone has a backstory,
everyone comes from somewhere and has their own battles. Seeing so much of the
world has made me aware that no matter where we come from, there are
similarities in all walks of life. We all struggle, from mechanic to CEO, and
finding the common bond is what makes the difference.
Both my Mom and my Uncle Wayne have pioneering spirits. My
Mom was probably scared to cut the ties of a (somewhat) secure financial
situation and a roof over her (and me) for her independence – but she still
took that leap. My Uncle Wayne was probably super excited to travel but also
scared to be so far away from the only home he’d ever known – but he still took
that leap. I think both of them came out of their experiences slightly bruised
and forever changed but I also think that they don’t regret any of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment