A521.9.4.RB - Reflections on Leadership
For
this Reflection Blog, you will create a reflection blog focusing on Denning's
Chapter 12, "A Different Kind of Leader."
In
Chapter 12, Denning explicitly describes his dimensions of leadership. Reflect
on those dimensions and how you expect they will impact the way you lead in the
future. Include specific examples of how at least THREE of Denning's dimensions
manifest in your own application of leadership.
I absolutely loved
this book. I know this isn't "review the class text" time but I feel like I have to mention that. Stephen Denning has taken the “rules” of being a leader to new
heights. His theories are spot on and meaningful without being preachy and
unattainable. He understands and embraces people’s weaknesses and shows us how
to recognize them and make them part of our leadership story.
“The
interactive leader works with the world rather than against it.” (Denning,
2010) This is such a valid dimension of leadership today. I sit in a morning
meeting that should absolutely be an e-mail. In this meeting, I listen to
defeated managers feeling like they are fighting an uphill battle with every
little thing. Parts are missing? They take that as a personal affront to their
team’s progress. High labor loss? That has to be because they have lazy workers
who hate them and are probably on interviews somewhere else. Behind schedule?
That is because leadership thinks that they can do miracles with nothing and
are unrealistic. That it’s all because the world is against them. A leader
would see that missing parts is an opportunity to work with the suppliers or
the kitting areas to see if they are getting everything they need to be
successful. This could create a collaboration and even smarter tools for future
successes. High labor loss could be a number of things. Did school just start
up? Kids usually bring home those germs the first few weeks of school and
inevitably the “crud” or whatever wreaks havoc on the kids and in turn the
parents. People get sick. What about recent high levels of over time? Are people
burnt out? How is morale? As a leader, high labor loss is an opportunity to
have a conversation with your team and find out what’s going on, how you can
help them, and to problem solve with them. Schedule is king at The Boeing
Company. Everyone knows this and it has nothing to do with managers or people.
Boeing is a mega-business that provides for somewhere around 79,000 employees.
They have to make money and the way they make money is building the best
airplanes the fastest, toughest, and in the most cost effective way than their
competitors. Is this always fair to the people or even realistic? No. But the
idea is that as leaders, we challenge our teams to do their very best…and then
a little bit more. Boeing used to make airplanes out of canvas and wood. But in
the 1960’s, it helped put man on the moon. We can make awesome jets in record
time and it takes effective leaders…not whiney managers to inspire people to
get it done. An effective leader believes that anything is possible!
“Interactive
leadership builds on personal integrity and authenticity.” (Denning, 2011)
Obviously, a leader needs to set the example for their teams. Can that leader
also set the example for their peers? Their bosses? Their organization? Absolutely.
Every single time a manager says one thing and does exactly the opposite, they
chip away at their authenticity and integrity. How can teams be expected to
behave one way when their manager behaves another? Being a leader means that you
are always holding people to their highest potential and working to develop
them into someone who will one day be a great leader too. It should be like
gossip…you should be able to say whatever you’re going to say in front of the
whole team. Leadership and the authenticity a leader should exude is the same
way. If there is a behavior that your team shouldn’t display, then neither
should you. “It’s not possible for leaders o exercise manipulative and spinning
behavior in one part of their conduct and be accepted as open, truthful, and
trustworthy in other domains.” (Denning, 2011)
“Interactive
leadership doesn’t depend on the possession of hierarchical authority.”
(Denning, 2011) Oh gosh I love this one. This dimension really plays to my
inner anarchist – but in a good way. Should the fact that someone is a mechanic
mean that interactive leadership doesn’t apply to them? Heck no. Just because
someone isn’t a vice-president, or CEO, or even a manager does not mean that
they do not have leadership skills or should be kept from using those
leadership skills. When I need advice and direction from my team regarding
their schedule, I go to the leaders of the team…the people who do the work and
have proven integrity and sincerely care about the work. These people are
rarely the managers. I have found that people who exhibit leadership (not to
mention critical thinking) skills to some managers at Boeing tend to put the
managers on the defensive. Leaders would develop those behaviors and advocate
for their team. I recently found out that one manager at the last Boeing business
unit I worked at in WA actually made it impossible for an up and coming leader
to stay with the company. She had relegated him, a college educated degreed
industrial engineer, to her personal secretary with no possible way out.
Somehow, she had influence over people who could have helped him but didn’t. I’ve
had dealings with this person myself so I know it is true and not an
exaggeration. This kind of manager is deadly to the future leaders in an
organization. Leaders are in all levels of an organization. If you are a
manager and this idea scares you…you need to get out of management. “Anyone and
everyone who can help clarify the direction or improve the structure, or secure
support for it, or offer coaching that improves performance is providing
leadership.” (Denning, 2011) I never want to be a manager who makes good people
want to leave the organization that I support.
I repeat…I
loved this text and it will go on my shelf to refer back to long after this
class is over and my degree completed.
Reference:
Denning, S.
(2011). The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of
Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
No comments:
Post a Comment