Sunday, August 27, 2017

A635.3.3.RB - 50 Reasons Not to Change/The Tribes We Lead


A635.3.3.RB - 50 Reasons Not to Change/The Tribes We Lead

 

 

You don’t have to go far at Boeing to hear the words, “We’ve always done it that way.” or “That’s how we’ve always done it.” or something along those lines. It never fails to irritate me. My response is usually this: “No. That’s not true. It hasn’t always been done this way. If that were true, we’d still be making airplanes out of canvas and glue and just talking about space travel.” To me, that is the biggest cop out of them all. The idea that something can’t be changed because it’s “always” been done or not done, or someone tried that back in 1985 and it was awful, all of that – it’s garbage. Unless a process is absolutely perfect and doesn’t have any negative aspects, no glitches, no “it works great when A, B, and C happen…” 1000% perfect, it can and probably should be changed. And even then, even at 1000% perfect – is that process going to be 1000% perfect a year from now? When rates increase? Decrease? During a recession? During a winning Mariners season? When a company decides that it has reached the pinnacle of profitability and success, that they can rest and let the money roll in, they have absolutely begun their downfall.  There is always going to be someone with bigger and better ideas who wants it more than you. In business, where you stop growing, you usually stay there until you die. I also believe that just because something has been tried before doesn’t mean it can’t be tried again. Change applies to ideologies as well as methodologies. As Godin said in the TED talk, [t]hat what we do for a living now…is find something worth changing, and then assemble tribes that assemble tribes that spread the idea and spread the idea…it becomes something far bigger than ourselves, it becomes a movement. (Godin, 2009) Making excuses or coming up with reasons not to change just puts up roadblocks.

There is another motto that is thrown around Boeing and it is “Beat Airbus!” – now while I am really tired of hearing that, it is moving us in a more innovative and competitive space. It’s pushing us, willingly or unwillingly, to do better, faster, with less, in order to produce an airplane so cool, so cost-effective, that our customers will be tripping over themselves to place orders. (This is for all programs, not just the 787.) After watching Seth Gordin’s TED talk about tribes, this made me realize that by putting this idea out there, this, “Beat Airbus!” motto in our faces and part of every staff meeting, they have inadvertently created this tribe of Boeing employees who are again, willingly or unwillingly, marching to the same beat. I think that every corporate giant has its day, and one day, someone ‘bigger and badder’ will probably take over where Boeing once stood. This is just the cycle of life. Airbus probably has the same or similar motto in its factories and staff meetings: “Beat Boeing! Be the Best!” and they have also created a tribe. Ultimately, the consumer will win this particular battle. Boeing and Airbus are formidable opponents who have both been changing their products and quality standards in an effort to be the one chosen by the airlines. But my point is that creating these tribes, these groups of people brought together by a commonality, helps move ideas forward.

These ideas are not overly complex. “Beat Airbus!” “Beat Boeing!” “Go Team Go!” “Let’s Get Lunch!” The ideas that start the change are usually not big complex ideas that have to have 37 diagrams and 14 Prezi presentations to explain them. This simplicity is part of the success. A change happens because that change is understood. Thinking about what words make an organizational change movement come to life – it’s the small but powerful narrative. Transformation must be both personal to all participants and centrally directed in order to be coherent…everyone involved needs to internalize the change. (Denning, 2011) The “everyone” here becomes your tribe. Your tribe of unique individuals brought together by a central and common idea.

Have I used excuses like the ones in the 50 Reasons Not to Change graphic? Absolutely. I read recently in the leadership blog, Leadership Freak – which I highly recommend, that excuses are an attempt to lower expectations [and] excuse makers are explaining why you should accept lackluster performance. (Rockwell, 2017) I had to think about that for a while. Was I doing that? When I said things like, “But I’m new here so I’m not sure.” Or “I’m not great at math so I could be wrong.” I was basically telling the listener that because I’m new or not great at math that my response or my work should be graded on a curve – don’t expect too much from me folks! I have spent the last few months trying to teach myself not to do that. Not to preface my work or my words with reason to value them less or to accept less from me. On the flip side of that I was also thinking how some excuses can also create tribes. Are the reasons we give ourselves for being part of a tribe also the excuses we use to not conform? When is it noble - truly trying to make a change and when is it just resistance to change – just being stubborn? Friendships, social cliques, or informal teams may be threatened by change…the stronger the group ties, the greater the resistance to change. (Brown, 2011)

One last insight I had while watching this video was that yes, tribes are formed because of things are in need of change. Sometimes though, tribes fight hard for what they believe in and still lose. I wonder if that has to do with who the tribe is fighting for and what they are fighting against. There was a group of women last year who marched in cities all over the world for women’s rights, they went by the name Nasty Women, and were a tribe who rallied against misogyny. With calls for solidarity, they fought for LGBTQ rights, education, racial equality, reproductive health care, and, yes, a woman in the White House. (Gray, 2016) Their methods were criticized and heralded alike. The people who considered themselves “Nasty Women” were responding to a statement made [d]uring the final moments of the third and final presidential debate, Donald Trump interrupted Clinton as she was answering a question about social security. “Such a nasty woman,” he muttered into his microphone. (Gray, 2016) This sparked such outrage because so many women could relate to being dismissed with comments like this. I don’t want to get on my soapbox about this but these people absolutely formed a tribe – even wore little pink “vagina” hats during their marches in solidarity. But in the end, it didn’t really change anything. Clinton was not elected and women are still fighting for respect and equality. I don’t know why the election ended that way. The time was ripe for a real change. Maybe it was mostly about the connection. Godin talked about pirates: [T]hey've got their own flag. They've got the eye patches. You can tell when you're running into someone in a tribe. And it turns out that it's tribes…that can change our world, that can change politics, that can align large numbers of people. Not because you force them to do something against their will, but because they wanted to connect. (Godin, 2009)

 

 

 

References:

 

Brown, D. R.(2011). An experiential approach to organizational development (Eighth ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

 

Denning, S.(2011).The leader’s guide to storytelling, mastering the art and discipline of business narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass

 

Godin, S. (2009). The tribes we lead. Ted.com. https://www.ted.com/talks/seth_godin_on_the_tribes_we_lead

 

Gray, E. (2016). How ‘Nasty Woman’ became a viral call for solidarity. Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nasty-woman-became-a-call-of-solidarity-for-women-voters_us_5808f6a8e4b02444efa20c92

 

Rockwell, D.(2017).How to confront excuse makers.Leadership Freak.  https://leadershipfreak.blog/2017/04/11/how-to-confront-excuse-makers/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment