Sunday, September 10, 2017

A635.5.3.RB - Video Debrief of Team MA


A635.5.3.RB - Video Debrief of Team MA

 

While watching the NeXT video I kept noticing three categories from our Management Assessment in Jobs’ words: Achievement, Innovation, and Tolerance for, And Ability to Assess Risk. When he talked, he made a point of reiterating the company’s vision and he talked about his point about an issue being his “deepest belief.”  As the narrator mentioned, Jobs was assertive but valued consensus. (Петренко, 2012) I have read a lot about Steve Jobs and know that he wasn’t always the easiest person to work for or be around and his personal life was a bit troubled. Who is the easiest person to be around? Someone who agrees with everything we say? Someone who doesn’t challenge our beliefs about what is and isn’t possible? Someone who thinks innovation belongs on Star Trek and likes things the way they are? And who doesn’t have a troubled personal life from time to time? Steve Jobs was a complex genius who I honestly believe was absolutely passionate about computers and what they could do for people – to improve their lives. I find no fault in that. His vision, while sometimes intense, was always genuine and something he deeply believed. I think he could be cruel and impatient, demanding and stubborn, but genius usually includes the passion that takes many shapes. I’m going to look at the three categories above and do a little compare and contrast and see how well I would have done if I had been part of the NeXT startup team.

 

Achievement: According to the Next Steps Research Management Assessment (NSRMA) report, Achievement is the ambitious goals that are actively tracked with metrics that the individual strives to reach or exceed [these] are the most important attribute[s] in a large, high growth venture. Some of the attributes include: the ability to readily quote statistics on product launch dates, sales and profit milestones, comparisons to competitors, key clients, and use the milestones to validate their goals and the risk/reward of reaching them. (NSRMA, 2017) Jobs’ ability to understand the competitor’s business almost as intimately as he knew his own kept his products relevant. As for the goals of the NeXT startup team, he kept reiterating their vision of producing the epitome of scholastic software for college students. He understood the financial limitations of students and professors when it came to expensive equipment – but he also knew the importance of having those tools in the classroom/lab environment. During the retreat, when there was dissent or an argument, he kept refocusing the group back on the primary goals: Release by spring 1987, and $3000 price tag. It seemed that while there was dissent, there were like-minded individuals working to make sure their product was absolutely unique and awesome. My personal achievement characteristics show that I want to not only complete my goals but to sustain the gains. I need challenges or it will lead to boredom (and shopping on Amazon.com.), however, I’m okay if not every single task get completed every day, I understand that some ideas are worth my time while others end up either taking longer than expected or are not value added at all. Looking at those things, and even knowing that NeXT did not turn out to be the legacy that Jobs would be ultimately known for, I would have loved to have been part of that team, Based on my achievement assessment characteristics I think I would have been able to work well with the NeXT team.

 

Innovation: A balanced mix of the three key innovation attributes: problem solving, process creativity, and inventiveness are essential in the leadership team of a large growth venture. (NSRMA, 2017). The NeXT team showed great effort with all three of those characteristics. The retreat on the video was all about brainstorming, process creativity, and inventiveness. They were not only building a machine that would change computing in colleges but as the narrator said, they were working toward a new corporate structure, architecting a company. Jobs said in the video that the total was much more incredible than the sum of its parts. (Петренко, 2012) My innovation assessment shows that I enjoy finding problems, I not only desire the create/conceive new processes, I enjoy the creative aspect of new processes and am motivated to create/invent services and products. (NSRMA, 2017). This would have fit in well with this group. They were working on an innovative product that had the potential to be so impactful to the education system – to change the way students learn especially in higher education environments. This had the ability to open up so many new ideas and young minds in ways that could never have been realized before. That is incredibly exciting to me, even now, thinking about the impact this team was preparing to make – the responsibility and intensity behind that intent. Amazing.

 

Tolerance for and Ability to Assess Risk: The ability to both assess the “risk vs. reward” of a decision or situation, and rapidly make choices based on those assessments is a key to success in this environment. (NSRMA, 2017) In the video, two of the biggest issues at the first retreat were the cost and the timeline. The team knew that the timeline would be critical to the success of the product launch impact. The team also understood that the price point needed to be considered “affordable” to the average college student. The budget of this project was fairly tight seeing as Jobs had fronted $7M of his own money to start. The NSRMA says that the individuals who thrive in this environment often enjoy the challenge of assessing situations and have the ability to confidently take action on their assessments. (2017) Jobs was not lacking in confidence and the challenge of assessing risk was something he had been doing from the very early days of Apple. [B]ut you can’t grow unless you keep moving into new areas that pose new risks. (Champy & Nohria, 2000) My risk characteristics show that I understand that some risk is okay. I have a strong history of taking business risks and even a medium desire to take high and/or uncalculated risks. When working on a project, I’m ready to push the launch button even when an idea isn’t fully vetted – how else do you see if it will even get off the ground? When you see something finally put into action is the only time you will truly understand what problems you have yet to solve. This may have made me a good candidate for the NeXT startup team because I understand the risk assessment process but also know when it’s time to stop theorizing and time for action.

Overall, I think I would have thrived in the NeXT startup team. I would have probably been intimidated by Jobs and his personality – I still have a little part of me that needs to please people and have them like me. Not a big part, but I know myself well enough to know that a personality like Jobs, a visionary who is passionate and who could lead a horse to water AND make him drink is someone that I would want to have impressed and would have been devastated if I failed him in any way. That being said, I think the most important thing belonging in a group like the NeXT startup team is balance. I know that Steve Jobs subscribed to meditation and a Zen-like mindfulness that created a sense of calm to his otherwise passionate nature. Jobs is quoted by biographer Walter Isaacson as saying:

 

"If you just sit and observe, you will see how restless your mind is. If you try to calm it, it only makes it worse, but over time it does calm, and when it does, there's room to hear more subtle things--that's when your intuition starts to blossom and you start to see things more clearly and be in the present more. Your mind just slows down, and you see a tremendous expanse in the moment. You see so much more than you could see before." (James, 2015)

 

It seems to me that being a relentless achiever, innovator, and a risk taker demands that there be a side of calm to balance out the reality of business. What ambition does need in order to save itself from excess is a sense of balance. (Champy & Nohria, 2000)

 

 

References:

 

Brown, D. R.(2011). An experiential approach to organizational development (Eighth ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

 

Champy J. & Nohria, N. (2000) The arc of ambition – defining the leadership journey. New York. Basic Books. 

 

James, G.(2015). How Steve Jobs trained his own brain. Inc.com. https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/how-steve-jobs-trained-his-own-brain.html

 

Next Steps Research. (2017) Management assessment profile prepared for Embry-Riddle. Candidate: Jody Unverrich. Alexandria, VA.

 

Петренко, C. (2012) Steve Jobs brainstorms with NeXT team. YouTube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQhufxiorM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment