A640.9.2.RB - Final Project
Reflection
One of the major tasks
of this course was the completion of a service-learning project. Using the
elements of thought, walk through your thoughts, observations and experiences
from the service-learning project and how they relate to the course material.
The purpose of the
service-learning project paper was to complete a course requirement and to
apply the leadership theories we were learning about to a real-life situation. The
questions I started with were, “What kind of leadership styles will I find at
XPO? How do XPO and Boeing leadership styles differ –if they do at all - and
how? The research I did for this project
allowed me to start thinking about the work at XPO differently and already it
has taken on a new dimension. I wanted to explore the relationship between XPO
and Boeing and its inherent challenges.
The information I
gathered for this project came from my volunteer activity at XPO Logistics. The
leadership style I most observed was a path-goal leadership theory. XPO is not
very nuanced. The work is simple and the instruction and all communication is
succinct. XPO is a gigantic tightly run ship because it has to be. XPO has big
customers – Boeing being only one of many – and these customers have high
expectations. So it was an interesting study to see how these things were
accomplished in the short amount of time they actually have to get these huge shipments
processed and delivered. My conclusion was that there are several leadership
styles prevalent within XPO. It really seemed as though they tried to pair up
leadership styles with departments and what those departments are trying to
accomplish.
The concepts I
used were the leadership styles of servant leader, path-goal leadership, and
team leadership. I researched other studies on logistics companies and
path-goal leadership theory. Insights that I added to my final paper were just
that organizations benefit from the right-sized leadership fit. Innovation is
important in logistics so having a strategic leader is important but it is the
day-to-day hustle that brings money and a positive or negative reputation to
the table.
I don’t think I
had any assumptions coming into this project – or at least the volunteering and
what I’d find at XPO. I’d worked in factory and warehouse environments before
so I knew a bit about what to expect and what questions I needed to ask. The
implications and consequences that I found were that if organizations don’t
think carefully about the styles of leadership their leaders exude then they
could mismatch styles with needs and create a negative working environment.
My point of view
as I went about answering these questions was that of a Boeing employee, woman,
basically an outsider in the XPO organization, and with a background in supply
chain and warehouse activities. The limitations of my POV were that it had been
a while since I worked daily in a warehouse environment and that the shipping
and receiving technology could have changed, my limitations were also that
because I was an outsider and a Boeing employee that people might not be
willing to talk to me or would not behave as they normally would if there wasn’t
a stranger observing them.
No comments:
Post a Comment